Wednesday 10 September 2014

Some differences (out of many)

"Not better or worse, just different" -from study abroad handbooks on cultural differences
  • Obviously driving on the other side of the road- think I'm getting more used to it, but I wouldn't want to drive!
  • Most places you have to turn on a switch to turn on the shower, and then you just jump in and press a button to start the shower
  • The keyboard is different!! Not only do they have the pound, as in GBP, (and I think the euro) sign, they moved the hashtag to the side, and made the shift buttons smaller. Whatt
  • No elevators in many buildings, which means us lugging our suitcases up 3 flights of stairs to get to the 3rd floor, which brings me to my next point...
  • What we would call the first floor is 0 or ground floor to people in the UK, so our second floor is their first, our third is their second, etc. 
  • OH their fire doors. A lot of doors have to be kept closed to prevent fires from spreading I guess, but this also means they slam, very loudly, shut, all the time. Like during my nap today, I could hear them throughout my entire building. (Mmm, have to classify that as worse...I know there's something you can put on the hinge or the top that would let it close more gently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment